Smart home: how home automation can help you save on energy conservation?
A Smart home uses technology to ease the daily life of its occupants while caring for the environment. To perform well, all devices of the house are linked to a control system. One can remotely control the connected features of the house via a device such as a smartphone, a tablet or a computer. The main objective of that type of home is to facilitate your everyday life. Altogether, automation allows you to get peace of mind while saving money and energy.
What features of a smart home lead to energy conservation?
The main benefit of a smart home is the optimization of energy consumption. Indeed, all the energy use is regulated, and wastage is almost nonexistent. This influences positively your energy bill that could lower by as much as 40%! There are various elements of your home that you can program in order to maximize this energy conservation:
- Schedule the heating system to turn on a bit before your arrival and to turn off as you leave. Plus, you can regulate heat in each room of the house, at the desired time (e.g. slightly colder at night and warmer in the daytime).
- The lighting system: thanks to home automation, you are able to verify if the lights are off, even when you’re not home. You can also set up the lighting system with a timer and motion sensors in order to avoid oblivion. This could serve as a security system that will simulate your presence in the house in case of a home invasion. One can also open or close a door remotely, turn on and off any device, etc.
- The sprinkler system: a smart sprinkler system is also more efficient and economic. Programmed by night, water does not evaporate, plants are not scorched by the sun and you can sleep better.
- Acclimatization to the outside weather: shutters open by themselves in the morning and close at night, the roof of a patio can be more or less open according to the temperature in the room, the heating system can adapt to the outdoor temperature in order to provide a pleasant indoor temperature depending on the season (i.e. If it gets colder outside, the temperature will rise up and vice versa).
- Monitor the energy consumption of each connected device to get a better outlook of your overall consumption and implement changes for better energy conservation.
Energy savings and better security
Furthermore, if you consider converting your abode into a smart home, know that you can also implement an effective security system. This gives you even more serenity. You can anticipate different scenarios according to your needs and install the necessary equipment to match them: closing of the shutters, automatic sprinkling, automatic lights, etc.
The system can inform you, in real-time and remotely, if someone is trying to break into your home, allowing you to call the police or a security company.
Energy savings and lifestyle
In a nutshell, home-automation is a great technology that adapts to your needs and lifestyle. You can program your system depending on the season, your specific needs, your presence time at home, etc. For instance, you can set up the whole system in a specific way for the weekends or if you’re away on vacation.
In any scenario and for any lifestyle, home automation is an excellent mean to save energy.